Week 11 - Researcher - Instagram Poll Story

As we were a group of five, we had to create five pieces of content. For our final piece of content, we decided to create an interactive instagram poll asking a question on the global statistics for the gender digital divide, giving our followers options to choose from and using the results to highlight people's knowledge about the digital gender divide. 

My role this week was the researcher so my task was to research and find reliable and accurate global statistics for the global digital gender divide that we could include in our poll. As our twitter thread was also going to be posted this week and we wanted to promote our poll as one of the tweets, as a group we tried to complete our instagram poll as early into the week as possible. On Monday, I completed all my research and placed it on our OneDrive folder to be accessed by my team. 

I researched multiple statistics for the global digital divide, exploring multiple different websites, organisations and their reports and findings. As I was very concerned about making sure my sources were legit and reliable, I took most of my statistics from legitimate organisations concerned with exploring gender digital inequality. For example, I explored findings by the the International Telecommunication Union (an agency of the United Nations), UN Women and the GSMA. As my task was to find statistics specifically on global digital inequality, I found many of the scholarly articles on Jstor and the online Exeter library less helpful in completing my task as many of them weren't necessarily focused on statistics and if they were, it would be on one specific country predominantly. Looking at specific organisation's online reports or articles proved far more successful in fulfilling my task. The fact that some of these reports even supported each others findings in terms of reporting the same statistics confirmed their reliability to me. 

I was also mindful of compiling statistics that were as recent as possible, so I tried predominantly using sources from the last year and 2021 onwards, nevertheless they may have accumulated data from a range of years. Additionally, I  researched how to make an instagram poll to aid the production designer's process. I also created a bibliography of all my sources at the end of my research. Overall, this task made me feel more confident in searching for reliable and credible sources as well as allowing me to gain more experience in referencing websites particularly. My research can be seen below:






Comments